Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Saying Good-bye is hard to do...

This month, I have had 3 friends have to say "good-bye" to very important people in their lives. Well I take that back, it is more than 3 friends, so I should say 3 families...

January started with a Hallelujah Moment for Gran I. The Reynolds/Blakemore families celebrated the rich and long life of Ida Pondarae Reynolds on January 3, 2011. Gran I was 99 years and 4 months old. She was an amazing woman and I feel blessed to have met her and to have had her in my life as a role model for 26 years. Her legacy will live on in her wonderful grandkids, great grandkids and GREAT GREAT grandkids who also had the joy of knowing her.

A week later, my friend from TU, Whitney Baab Bennett, along with her family said "good-bye for now" at a life celebration for her father. Whit's dad had battled cancer for a little over 2 years. That road was a long and arduous road for the entire Baab family. About the time that they thought that Bud was in remission another scan would state the opposite. Throughout the entire ordeal, the Baab family stood firm in their faith and knew that their father/husband/grandpa was in the hands of God.

This week, I saw on facebook that another of my close friends, Crystal Smith Lattimore, had lost her father. Having grown up at the Smith house throughout my childhood, I knew the pain that Crystal was feeling. Crystal and I were always super emotional and super close to our families. Like the Baab family dealing with cancer for 2 years, the Smith family has dealt with heart problems for the last 15 years or so. Through all the hospital visits and stays, Crystal and her wonderful mom, Lavetta, always stayed firm on their faith that Lonnie too would be taken care of by his Lord and Savior.

Although I haven't lost one of my parents, I think I have an idea how my friends are feeling right now. LOST... maybe not right now because they are unreeling from the adrenaline filled roller coaster of ups and downs and exhaustion from the last months of hospital stays, they will feel lost and alone sooner than later... I am impressed by the displays of faith that all the families mentioned above have shown through these times of trial.

I have had my faith renewed by the love and devotion shown by the families of the ones lost this month. I pray that they will continue to feel the calming presence of their loved ones when they hit bottom and start to grieve for their dad and grandma. I ask that my friends continue to pray for these families (Reynolds/Blakemore, Baab and Smith) for strength and comfort in the days and weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment