Monday, May 31, 2010

New starts...

As some of you know, I have had a really rough year this year with my job and politics. From my viewpoint, all the teachers that I have worked with have liked working with me and if they have had concerns, have come to me... however... from my supervisors viewpoint (in her office away from the district) I am a very different creature than what I think of myself and others think of me... This year I have been told that I am unprofessional, I don't work well with others, I am difficult to work with on a team, I don't understand my role as a SLP in the school setting or my job in general, I don't communicate well with others or follow outside advice when working with students to name a few.

After shedding more tears than I care to count and drinking more bottles of rum than I should have, I am ending my career with Mtn BOCES and am moving on... on Friday, May 28 I was offered a SLP position in Westminster at a school that is 2 years old. This school has a very strong special education TEAM (yes I said TEAM) with programs for children with autism (programs being language, social skills, and pragmatics to name some), a mild-moderate program and a severe needs program. I am extremely excited about being part of a team that functions as just that, a TEAM. A TEAM that works TOGETHER to diagnose a child rather than as individual pieces and one person makes the final decision... a TEAM that writes collaborative goals and teaches together!!!

My new principal sounds very nice and she is excited to have me on her team next year. Now the search is on to find a place to live and to figure out when Ian and my babygirl Kodi will be joining me!!!

Thank you for your thoughts, prayers and continued support this past year. I don't regret moving to Colorado for a minute and honestly I wouldn't change a thing that I did this year either. I did my best to work with the team at all my buildings and to collaborate and co-plan with other professionals. From what I have been told, and what I have read in the letters of recommendation that I have received from teachers, I collaborated, supported and communicated with the team more than some of my other counter-parts.

I'm moving on...

1 comment: