For those of you who remember counting down the days until school was out as a student, let the games begin... I know it may come as a shock to many of you, but teachers DO count down the days of school. We are probably worse than the students if you really want to know. As "adults" we have the ability to not only count down the days, we can also count down the hours AND the minutes... the current number is 18 days of h-e- double hockey sticks...
I love my job. Honest, I do... I love working with my students, they are awesome, most days. I enjoy watching my students as they start using their voices and start to become more understandable to other people. I love seeing them make progress and meet their goals. But I don't love working with most of their teachers. There is a certain level of common courtesy or respect that I do not receive in one of my schools. I can ask for responses from teachers about rescheduling, trying to give them the upperhand and the control over when their students will go to speech when it is outside of the "normal" scheduled time. But when said teachers don't reply, I assume that it is alright to get their kids, then starts the problems. I ALWAYS give my teaching staff at least 2 weeks notice when I am going to be out for a conference or something so that we can reschedule the missed sessions at a convenient time for both of us. Yet it apperas that they don't have the common courtesy to let me know a week in advance of field trips and presentations and field days that they have known about for months! Then they wait for me to find out the Friday before the week of the event when the weekly calendar comes out and then on that week they demand to know when I am going to make up the speech times for their students because "MY STUDENTS WILL NOT MISS ________" (fill in activity).
So I am trying to patiently kill my fellow teachers with kindness. I am hoping that it will eventually work. Like I said before, only 18 more days of school left... which in thiose 18 days I have to complete 50 report cards and progress notes to parents and send home, do one more month of Medicaid forms (for all 50 or so said students), prepare about 40 home program folders for my students so that they have some sort of speech practice over the summer (not that they will actually do it, they didn't throughout the year, why is the summer going to change that routine?) and other countless and redundant forms for the district... all the while seeing my 50 kids (most of them twice a week) for the next 3 weeks.
I can only hope that I survive these next 18 school days! What I would give to be back in college! For those of you in college- stay there... NEVER graduate!!!! The real world is a mean and harsh place!!!!! Pray for me and my sanity as well as the patience of my guy!!!
Gotta go! Gilmore Girls is back and this is a new show!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment